By Dan Totten
Every wrestling fan knows the Three Faces of Mick Foley; Cactus Jack, Mankind, and Dude Love. Each character brings a unique personality and style to the ring. Like Foley himself, each has made its mark in singles competition, but also in the tag team ranks. Foley’s tag team legacy is often overlooked, but each character had success with many different partners. The top combos for each character:
- Cactus Jack and Mikey Whipwreck (Extreme Championship Wrestling) – By the time Foley debuted in ECW in 1994, he was a 10 year veteran well-known for his hardcore, risk-taking, style. Mikey Whipwreck was a 21 year old rookie who had been trained by Foley. The team came together when Whipwreck substituted for Foley’s regular partner, Terry Funk. From there, the duo won the ECW Tag Team Championship. At this point the team became a reluctant partnership, predicated on Foley taking Whipwreck under his wing and teaching him, and toughening him up to, the hardcore style of wrestling ECW was known for. Foley as the slightly unhinged, but knowledgable, veteran and Whipwreck as the scared rookie really clicked and they would go on the have two reigns as ECW Tag Champs.
Continue reading The Three Faces of Mick Foley’s Tag Team Career
In this compelling and evocative memoir, Washington Post reporter Souad Mekhennet shares her journey behind the lines of jihad, starting in the German neighborhoods where the 9/11 plotters were radicalized and the Iraqi neighborhoods where Sunnis and Shia turned against one another. Read the full description.
“Mekhennet provides an eye-opening picture.” —Kirkus
“Compelling, insightful, and shockingly relevant.” —Booklist Starred Review
I Was Told to Come Alone
By Souad Mekhennet
Read by Kirsten Potter
How to Win This MP3-CD Audiobook
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put the word “alone” in the subject line.
Entries must be received by June 30, 2017. Open to US only.
Congratulations to Janan Cheskis, winner of last month’s giveaway of A Stitch in Time. Thank you to all that entered.
For fans of Brain on Fire and My Stroke of Insight, an incredible first-person account of one woman’s journey to regaining her language and identity after a brain aneurysm affects her ability to communicate. Read the full description.
“A Stitch of Time is fascinating reading for those who want to learn how language works.” —Dr. Temple Grandin, author of The Autistic Brain and Thinking in Pictures
“There has been over a century of research on Broca’s aphasia but few accounts of patients’ own experiences as they struggle to recover. A Stitch of Time is a striking exception – it’s a thoughtful, introspective memoir that allows us to catch a rare glimpse of the inner mental life of such patients.” —Dr. V.S. Ramachandran, author of The Tell-Tale Brain
How to Win This MP3-CD Audiobook
1. Send an email to email@example.com
2. Put the word “resilience” in the subject line.
Entries must be received by May 31, 2017. Open to US only.
Congratulations to Lisa Snyder, winner of last month’s giveaway of The Sting of the Wild! Thank you to all that entered.
By Sarah Barning
It seems like all people are talking about nowadays are the hottest shows on Netflix. There has been a lot of buzz about the upcoming season of Orange Is the New Black premiering on June 12th. The countdown is on for season three. Orange fans are in luck, because Tantor has Piper’s true story read by Cassandra Campbell. If you are new to the television series, you won’t have to wait to see what happens to the whole crew at the women’s prison. Fans of the show can discover Piper’s real story.
Cassandra Campbell knocks it out of the park with her narration. She is spot on with all of the voices. She sounds exactly like Taylor Schilling, who plays Piper on the show. The audiobook is 11 ½ hours, so it is perfect for a long car-ride, during your daily commute, or just tinkering around.
Continue reading Orange Is Everything